Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 10.56.27 PMIMG_2603IMG_2600IMG_2601

Civil War Id’d Officer’s Service Medal


Civil War Id’d Officer’s Service Medal – Fine silver Civil War officer’s service medal; the silver bar at the top of the medal is engraved with the officer’s name: “Lt Alex S Gardner”. From this upper bar is suspended a grayish, dark blue, grosgrain ribbon that has a metal ring that attaches to an elaborately scrolled, silver disk that has Gardner’s initials engraved on it. The back of the top bar has a Civil War period T-bar style pin for attachment to the wearer’s coat. The entire medal, silver and ribbon, is in excellent condition; one of the small Scottish thistles on the engraved disk is missing. Gardner or Gardiner (as it appears on some rosters) mustered into the 88th Pa. Infantry in November of 1861 and left the service in December of 1864. He was commissioned as a 1rst Lt. in November of 1863 and was WIA at Bull Run in August of 1864.

Medal measures as follows: Length – 4”; Width of ribbon – 1.75”.


Alexander S. Gardiner

Residence was not listed; Enlisted on 11/7/1861 as a 1st Sergeant.On 11/7/1861 he mustered into “G” Co. PA 88th Infantry He was Mustered Out on 12/7/1864. He was listed as: * Wounded (date and place not stated)

Promotions: * 1st Lieut 11/23/1863; * Capt 8/21/1864 (Not Mustered); * 2nd Lieut 11/11/1864

Other Information:Member of GAR Post # 10 (Lieut John T Greble) in Philadelphia, PA; died 12/13/1901

2nd Lt, Co. G, 88th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry; Mustered in: November 7, 1861; Wounded at Bull Run, August 30, 1864; Promoted from 1st Sergeant, November 11, 1864; wounded; commissioned 1st Lt., November 23, 1863,and Captain, August 21, 1864, (not mustered); Mustered out, December 4, 1864,at expiration of term


       (Three Years)

     Eighty-eighth Infantry.-Cols., George P. McLean, George

W. Gile Louis Wagner; Lieut.-Cols., Joseph A. McLean, George

W. Gile, Louis Wagner, Edmund A. Moss; Majs., George W. Gile,

D. A. Griffith, Benezet F. Foust, John S. Steeple, Aaron

Bright, Jr.  The 88th regiment, three companies of which were

recruited in Berks county and the remainder in Philadelphia,

was known as the Cameron Light Guards and was mustered into

the U. S. service at Philadelphia in Sept., 1861 for a three

years’ term.  It was ordered to Washington on Oct. 1, and

assigned to guard duty at Alexandria, where it received its

arms and equipment.  On Feb. 18, 1862, five companies were

detailed for garrison duty in forts on the Potomac, and on

April 17, the regiment, reunited, moved to Cloud’s mills, to

guard the line of the Orange & Alexandria railroad from Bull

Run to Fairfax Court House.  May 7, the command was ordered to

report to Gen. McDowell and assigned to Gen. Ricketts’

division, with which it fought at Cedar mountain, Thoroughfare

gap, the second Bull Run, Chantilly, Antietam and

Fredericksburg, its heaviest loss being at Bull Run, where 15

were killed, 102 wounded and 48 missing.  It went into winter

quarters at Fletcher’s Chapel and, with the exception of the

“Mud March,” remained there until April 28, 1863, when it

started on the Chancellorsville movement.  Its part in this

was not important, but its service at Gettysburg was brilliant

and resulted in the capture of the colors of the 16th Ala. and

23rd N. C.  The regiment shared in the movements of the army

during the remainder of the year, ending with the Mine Run

campaign, after which it went into winter quarters at

Culpeper.  Enough men reenlisted to insure the continuance of

the 88th as a veteran organization and on May 3, 1864, it

broke camp and spent the next three days in guarding wagon

trains on their way to the Wilderness.  Engagements followed

in rapid succession at Spotsylvania, the North Anna river

Bethesda Church, Cold Harbor and White Oak swamp and on June

16, the command arrived at Petersburg.  Here it was engaged on

June 18, and at the Weldon railroad in August, besides

performing arduous siege duties.  In Feb., 1865, it joined in

the Hatcher’s run movement being engaged at Dabney’s mills and

afterward encamping on Hatcher’s run.  It participated in the

final assault on Petersburg and in the pursuit after the

evacuation of the city and returned to Washington, where it

was mustered out of the service on June 30, 1865.