Civil War Period Richmond Bible from War-Time RR Station
Richmond, Va. c. 1861
Richmond Church Antebellum Bible – This antebellum church-sized Bible, dated 1855, is embossed in gold lettering on the front board stating: “M.E. Church South, Broad Street Station, Richmond“. This Bible was amongst the effects of the L. T. Christian family; this family came from Charles City County, Va. to Richmond, in the 1850s. L.T. Christian would establish a highly successful funeral business in the 1880s; Christian’s Funeral Home would officiate over many Confederate veterans’ funerals, from the late 19th century into the early 20th century. The Methodist Episcopal Church, named on the front board of the Bible, was a pro-slavery, anti-abolition church that broke with the national Methodist Church over the slavery issue. Broad Street Station, once situated on Broad Street, between 7th and 8th Streets, is no longer in existence. This Bible is in superior condition and in a rare, large size; it most likely resided in the RF & P Broad St. Depot during the War. This Bible was placed in the Depot to provide solace for Confederate soldiers prior to their departure to the front.