Dug Civil War Marked Lead Bar Used for Molding Bullets
Dug Civil War Marked Lead Bar Used for Molding Bullets - We have recently obtained a large group of Civil War artifacts excavated by an early relic hunter, during the 1960s and 1970s, in Amelia County, Va. The vast majority of the artifacts were dug along the April of 1865, Retreat Route; most of the relics were dug either in Jetersville, Deatonville, Amelia Courthouse and Sayler’s Creek, all areas that saw the passing and engagements of Union and Confederate troops. We have several artillery shells, some already posted on our site, as well as several U.S. box plates, belt plates and Eagle breastplates. In addition, we have a large selection of whole Spencer cartridges, as well as many spent Spencer and Henry cartridge casings. Finally, we have a modest array of buttons, as well as insignia, musket tools, lock plates and more; we will be posting some of the latter on our site soon.
This marked lead bar was found in a Civil War campsite somewhere in Amelia County, along the Retreat Route. The bar is marked, in raised letters, “Half & Malf” – this was the descriptive term used during the mid-19th century for an alloy of lead, used in bullet molding and for industrial processes and production; it measures about 51/8” in length. It is in fine, dug condition.