IMG_2543
IMG_2543IMG_2545New CollectionIMG_2548IMG_2549IMG_2551IMG_2554IMG_2555IMG_2556New CollectionIMG_2560IMG_2564IMG_2568IMG_2572IMG_2575IMG_2577IMG_2579IMG_2580IMG_2581IMG_2582IMG_2584IMG_2585IMG_2586IMG_2589IMG_2593IMG_2594IMG_2596IMG_2597IMG_2599IMG_2600IMG_2601IMG_2602IMG_2607David S. WilkinsonDavid S. Wilkinson01

Grouping of Possessions of Pvt. David S. Wilkinson 124th Pa. Inf.

Grouping of Possessions of Pvt. David S. Wilkinson 124th Pa. Inf. -

This is a fine grouping just recently obtained directly from the family. The grouping consists of the following:

 - M1861 Bridesburg contract, rifled musket with lock plate dated 1862 – this musket is in overall very good condition; it has its original, swell-tip ramrod and accompanying bayonet (missing locking ring); the gun’s stock is somewhat bleached out (apparently from lengthy exposure to the sunlight), but has the government inspector’s cartouche. At the last segment of the stock, someone has made a clean, saw cut through to the wood, although the stock remains in place and this does not detract from the overall appearance or integrity of the weapon.

 - M1862 Colt Pocket Police Pistol in very fine condition; the action is fine, although the main spring seems a bit weak. All of the numbers match – 19,874, indicative of 1863 production. The Colt’s Patent marking is on the left side of the frame, as is the patent marking on the fluted cylinder. The grips retain their original finish.

 - The war-time diary of Pvt. David Wilkinson, 124th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry; this volume (Wilkinson, according to extant family members, kept a diary for most of his life), is Vol. 2, encompassing some of the years 1861, 1862, 1863. Wilkinson recounts his period of service in the 124th Pa. during which he was wounded in action, on Sept. 17, 1862, at Antietam. Wilkinson took a ball in the right thigh, minutes after his unit advanced on the field of battle. He struggled to keep his leg and his life at the army hospital in Harrisburg, Pa. He would recover, but 8 months later, in June of 1863, as recounted in the diary, Wilkinson would join a 30-day cavalry unit, responding to the Confederate invasion of Pennsylvania. Apparently, during this latter, mounted service, Wilkinson purchased his Colt pistol. In the diary, Wilkinson recounts numerous encounters with the Rebs, in Pa., as well as hearing the thundering guns from Gettysburg.

 - Two CDVs of Wilkinson prior to the war

 - A religious tract given to Wilkinson as he recovered from his wound in the hospital at Harrisburg – this tract is inscribed with his name and regiment, as well as a statement, he wrote, denoting when he was given the tract

 - Several GAR medals representing Wilkinson’s post-war participation in veteran’s reunions

 - Wilkinson’s enlistment and discharge papers

 - Post-war images of David Wilkinson from the late 1800s into the early 20th century; in one of the images, the old veteran poses with his grandson and son.

 - Enlistment paper for Wilkinson’s participation in the Pa. National Guard, after the Civil War

 - The Regimental History of the 124th Pa. Vol. Inf. with an entry and war-time image of Pvt. Wilkinson; in the entry, Wilkinson recounts his wounding at Antietam

 - Typed transcription of Wilkinson’s diary – covering Wilkinson’s war time experiences

This is an extraordinary opportunity to obtain a fine, definitively identified grouping, with ironclad provenance. This collection of Private Wilkinson’s belongings was obtained directly from his great grandson, who signed an accompanying letter that corroborates the provenance of the group – SOLD

124th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Monument

 

Dedicated: September 17, 1904

Location: Intersection of Hagerstown Turnpike and Starke Avenue

Monument Text:
124th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry
Colonel Joseph W. Hawley
Sept. 17, 1862
Antietam
Chancellorsville
May 1-2-3, 1863

Recruited in Chester and Delaware Counties August 1862 for Nine Months Service

Erected by State of Pennsylvania and Survivors Association 1904

Casualties at Antietam
Killed 5
Wounded 42
Missing 17
Total 64
1st Brigade
1st Division
12th Corps

It was near this spot that the Regiment within Six Weeks after leaving home took an active part in this great battle.

Virtue, Liberty and Independence

Erected by Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

 124th Regiment
Pennsylvania Volunteers

 Seven companies of the One Hundred and Twenty-fourth Regiment, A, C, E, F, G, I, and K, were recruited in Chester county, and three B, D, and H, in Delaware. They rendezvoused at Camp Curtin, near Harrisburg, but before an organization could be effected, they were ordered to Washington, and proceeded thither on the 12th of August, 1862, under command of the senior Captain, Joseph W. Hawley. Upon their arrival, they went into camp near Fort Albany, two miles south-east of the Capital, and on the 17th a regimental organization was effected, with the following field officers:

  • Joseph W. Hawley, of Chester county, Colonel
  • Simon Litzenberg, of Delaware county, Lieutenant Colonel
  • I. Law. Haldeman, of Delaware county, Major

   On the 7th of September the regiment was ordered to Rockville, Maryland, where, upon its arrival, it was assigned to the First Brigade, First Division, of the Eleventh Corps. Having been but a little more than three weeks recruited, and most of this time having been given to change of camps requiring heavy details for fatigue duty, little attention had been given to drill, when, on the afternoon of the 9th, it was ordered upon the march to meet the enemy.

    Crossing South Mountain on the evening of the 15th, it followed up the retreating foe to the banks of the Antietam Creek, where he was found strongly posted. As the regiment moved rapidly in advance of the trains, rations in haversack soon became exhausted. Fresh beef was delivered during the evening of the 16th, but scarcely had it been received when the regiment was ordered into line, and moved rapidly to the support of General Hooker, in command of the right wing of the army.” It was ordered to the front,” says Major Haldeman in his official report,’” at seven A. M. On reaching the extreme edge of the woods on the east side of the cornfield, our line was formed and stationed in a position behind the fence. We were then ordered to advance, our right extending across the road, and beyond the grain-stacks. We were led in line into the corn-field about twenty paces, and ordered to halt, as we could not distinguish our own troops. We were then ordered to fall back to the edge of the cornfield, and take position again behind the fence, which was done in good order. We were again ordered to advance, when the right, after proceeding about one hundred yards, received a raking fire from the enemy in the woods, which was responded to by repeated volleys from our men; but the fire from our left, and from a battery of the enemy on the right, compelled us again to fall back to the stacks. A battery was now planted on the hill, between the wood and the cornfield, opposite the stacks, and the right wing of the regiment was ordered to its support. The left wing followed up the advance through the cornfield making successful charges upon the enemy, until it was also ordered to the support of the batteries. The enemy’s guns were silenced, and at three P. M., the regiment was ordered to the rear, where it was directed by General Hancock to remain in readiness to support batteries upon the right; but not being required, it bivouacked upon the field during the night.”

    The loss in this engagement was fifty in killed and wounded. Lieutenant Isaac Finch received a mortal wound from which he died on the 20th of October. Colonel Hawley was among the wounded.

 On the day following the battle, the regiment was employed in burying the dead, and on the 19th started for Pleasant Valley, reaching it on the 20th, after a severe march. It was subsequently posted on Maryland Heights, but again returned to its old camp at Pleasant Valley, where it was transferred to a brigade commanded by General Kane. On the 30th of October, Kane’s Brigade was ordered to London Heights.

   On the 8th of November a reconnaissance was made, up the valley, by a detachment of the regiment consisting of one hundred men, with two pieces of artillery, which returned at daylight on the following morning, bringing in abandoned stores of the enemy. In consequence of the alarm of the pickets on the mountain, on the night of the 16th, the regiment was ordered, with a portion of the brigade, to the support of a battery posted thereon, remaining until the 19th. The heavy guns which had been mounted on Maryland Heights, sufficiently commanding the position, the garrison was relieved and returned to camp. Whilst here, drill and discipline were studiously prosecuted. On the 10th of December, upon the eve of the movement upon Fredericksburg, the Twelfth Corps, which had been held in the neighborhood of Harper’s Ferry, was ordered forward, and by forced marches over almost impassable roads and swollen streams, in the bleak wintry weather, arrived across the Occoquan on the 15th. The fighting at Fredericksburg being over, it was ordered to re-cross the Occoquan on the 17th, the regiment returning to Fairfax Station.On the 28th it was again put upon the march to meet Stuart’s Cavalry, but failed to find it. On the 8th of January, the brigade made a reconnoissance to the vicinity of Wolf’s Run Shoals, returning without encountering opposition. On the 19th the brigade again broke camp and crossing the Occoquan, joined with the army in Burnside’s second campaign, and after toiling painfully through the mud and under drenching rains, the trains and artillery being moved only by the most vigorous efforts, it finally rested at Stafford Court House, the campaign having been abandoned.

On the 21st of March, the One Hundred and Twenty-fourth, and the One Hundred and Twenty-fifth, which had been brigaded with it, were transferred to Geary’s Division of the Twelfth Corps, General Kane being transferred with them, and taking command of the brigade to which they were assigned. At daylight of the 27th of April, the regiment, with eight days’ rations, marched on the Chancellorsville campaign. Crossing the Rappahannock in rear of the Eleventh Corps, the Twelfth moved on to Germania Ford, where its progress was impeded by the troops in advance, and did not reach the Chancellor House until three P. M., of the 30th. Line of battle was immediately formed, the position of the regiment falling in the right wing of the corps.

On the following morning, May 1st, the brigade advanced, and soon encountered the enemy’s pickets, pushing them back into the woods beyond. Having attained a position considerably in advance of the main line, its safety was much endangered by a flank movement of the enemy, and it was withdrawn to the original position of the previous evening, where, during the night, it was busily employed in throwing up breast-works, being compelled for want of entrenching tools to use bayonets and tin plates. During the early part of the following day, the enemy shelled the line at intervals, and at three P. M., the brigade was again ordered to advance, the regiment moving along the Fredericksburg Plank Road, and forming line of battle in the woods, where the enemy, concealed from view, had fortified. Unable to move him from his position, the brigade fell back, and at five returned to the breastworks, reaching them just as the broken troops of the Eleventh Corps came pouring in from the extreme right. Geary’s Division was at once faced under a heavy artillery fire of the enemy, to meet the threatened storm, and succeeded in holding its position until ten on the morning of the 3d, when the enemy, having outflanked it on the right, compelled it to fall back to a second line of defense which had been taken up, more contracted, and easily held. On the 6th the regiment re-crossed the river, and returned to its camp at Aquia. On the 9th, the term of service having expired, it was relieved from duty, and returned to Harrisburg, where, on the 16th, it was mustered out of service.

 Source:  Bates, Samuel P. History of the Pennsylvania Volunteers, 1861-65, Harrisburg, 1868-1871.

 

 

 

 

 

Organization:

 

Organized at Harrisburg August, 1862.
Left State for Washington, D.C., August 12.
Camp near Fort Albany, Defences of Washington, till September 7.
March to Rockville, Md., and attached to 1st Brigade, 1st Division,
12th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to October, 1862.
2nd Brigade, 1st Division, 12th Army Corps, to January, 1863.
2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, 12th Army Corps, to May, 1863.

 

Service:

 

Maryland Campaign September 7-24.
Battle of Antietam, Md., September 16-17.
Burying dead September 18.
March to Pleasant Valley, Md., September 19-20.
At Maryland Heights till October 30.
At Loudon Heights till November 8.
Reconnoissance up the Shenandoah Valley November 8-19.
Near Harper’s Ferry till December 10.
March to Fredericksburg, Va., December 10-15; thence to Fairfax Station.
Burnside’s 2nd Campaign, “Mud March,” January 20-24, 1863.
At Stafford Court House till April 27.
Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6.
Battle of Chancellorsville May 1-5.
Ordered to Harrisburg, Pa., and there mustered out May 16, 1863.

 

Losses:

 

Regiment lost during service:

 

1 Officer and 17 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded
and 36 Enlisted men by disease.

 

Total 54.

 

                        One Hundred Twenty-fourth Regiment, Company A

 

124th Regiment

 

Recruited in Chester County, Pennsylvania

 

Mustered in Aug. 8, 1862 and mustered out May 17, 1863

 

124th Regiment, Co. A

 

Captain Joseph Hawley Allan M. Davis Charles W. Roberts  1st Lieutenant   Samuel G. Smith  2nd Lieutenant     John A. Groff Isaac Finch, died of wounds received at Antietam, 1862  1st Sergeant  John Windle  Sergeant  Edward White John Gilsson Joseph N. Woodward David Steiler  Corporal  Joseph Davis Henry B. Wynn William S Wetherall Allanos Hl Bicking Jacob H. Way Powell Bailey Richard F. Hill Samuel B. Smiley W. R. Thomas David S. Wilkinson Geo Malin, Jr. 

 

 

Category: .