Id’d Civil War Hand Carved Bone Neckerchief Slide


Id’d Civil War Hand Carved Bone Neckerchief Slide – This nicely detailed bone neckerchief slide was expertly carved and etched by Lt. Joseph W. Waldo of Company A, 16th Vermont Infantry. Waldo skillfully etched his rank, initials, company, regiment and the date, 1863, into the face of the slide, then filled in the etchings with a red paraffin wax. The slide was carved in one piece, seemingly from cow bone and remains in excellent shape, with no cracks. Measurements: Height (of face) – 1.75”; Width (of face) – 1.25”.

 Joseph W. Waldo

Residence Royalton VT;  Enlisted on 8/26/1862 as a 2nd Lieutenant.  On 10/12/1862 he was commissioned into “A” Co. VT 16th Infantry  He Resigned on 3/12/1863


16th VT Infantry
(9-mos )

Organized: Brattleboro, VT on 10/23/62
Mustered Out: 8/10/63 at Brattleboro, VT

Officers Killed or Mortally Wounded: 1
Officers Died of Disease, Accidents, etc.: 1
Enlisted Men Killed or Mortally Wounded: 23
Enlisted Men Died of Disease, Accidents, etc.: 48
(Source: Fox, Regimental Losses)









Oct ’62 Feb ’63 2 Casey’s   Military District of Washington New Organization
Feb ’63 Apr ’63 2 Casey’s 22 Department of Washington, D.C.  
Apr ’63 Jun ’63 2 Abercrombie’s 22 Department of Washington, D.C.  
Jun ’63 Aug ’63 3 3 1 Army of Potomac Mustered Out



BY CORPORAL CHANDLER M. RUSSELL, COMPANY F, And SERGEANT LYMAN S. EMERY, COMPANY A SIXTEENTH REGIMENT.       THE Sixteenth regiment of Vermont Volunteers was composed  of companies which were recruited in the counties of Windsor  and Windham.  These companies met and organized at their  respective places of rendezvous between the dates of August 26  and September 20, 1862, as follows:       Company A–at Bethel; Henry A. Eaton, Captain.       Company B–at Brattleboro; Robert B. Arms, Captain.       Company C–at Ludlow; Asa G. Foster, Captain.       Company D–at Townshend; David Ball, Captain.       Company E–at Springfield; Alvin C. Mason, Captain.       Company F–at Wilmington; Henry F. Dix, Captain.       Company G–at Barnard; Harvey N. Bruce, Captain.       Company H–at Felchville; Joseph C. Sawyer, Captain.       Company I–at Williamsville; Lyman E. Knapp, Captain.       Company K–at Chester; Samuel Hutchinson, Captain.       On the 27th of September, 1862, the officers of these  companies met at Bellows Falls and elected the field officers  of the regiment, as follows:       Wheelock G. Veazey of Springfield, Colonel; Charles  Cummings of Brattleboro, Lieutenant-Colonel; William Rounds of  Chester, Major; Jabez D. Bridgman of Rockingham, Adjutant;  James G. Henry of Royalton, Quartermaster; Dr. Castanus B.  Park, Jr., of Grafton, Surgeon; Dr. George Spafford of Windham,  Assistant Surgeon; Rev. Alonzo Webster of Windsor, Chaplain.       This regiment rendezvoused at Brattleboro on the 9th of  October, 1862, and was mustered into the United States service  on the 23d of October, 1862, by Major William Austine, with  949 officers and men, and a more intelligent and educated body  of men, it is safe to say, was never mustered for any regiment.       The regiment left Brattleboro for the seat of war on the  24th of October, 1862, by way of New Haven Connecticut, over  the Sound Line of Steamers to New York, thence to Port Monmouth  by boat, and then by rail the balance of the way to Washington,  where it arrived on the morning of October 27.  It went into  camp on Capitol Hill near where the Twelfth, Thirteenth,  Fourteenth and Fifteenth regiments, which had just preceded it,  were in camp, and with which it was brigaded, forming what was  known as the Second Vermont Brigade.       On the 30th of October the regiment moved across the  Potomac River and encamped with the rest of the brigade near  Ball’s Cross Roads in Virginia.  This place was called “Camp  Seward.”  The regiment remained at this camp until November 3,  when it moved to a high ridge overlooking the Potomac River and  near Hunting Creek, a distance of about nine miles.  The whole  brigade moved at the same time to the same place, and from that  time on the place was called Camp Vermont.  It was expected  that the regiment would remain at this place during the winter  as a part of the reserve force for the defense of Washington,  and considerable pains were taken to stockade and make camp  life comfortable, but on the 11th of December the brigade was  ordered to move, and on the following day did move out farther  to the front.  The first night it encamped at Fairfax Court  House and the next day moved on to a point near Centreville,  where it remained, doing picket duty for several days, and then  returned to Fairfax Court House and remained there until  January 20, 1863.       The regiment then moved to Fairfax Station on the Orange  and Alexandria railroad and remained there until the 24th of  March, and then moved down the railroad about six miles on  a high point near Union Mills.  The principal service while  here was picket duty on Bull Run, and at points farther down  the railroad, which was being repaired and opened for  transportation to the Rappahannock River.  May 27 the regiment  was ordered to guard the railroad, and companies A and G, in  command of Captain Eaton, were stationed at Manassas Junction,  and companies C, D, E and F, with Colonel Veazey and Major  Rounds, were stationed at Bristoe Station, near Broad River,  and companies B, I and K, with Lieutenant-Colonel Cummings in  command, were stationed at Catlett’s Station.  May 30 a supply  train was attacked by a party of raiders under Mosby and  considerable damage done.  A short skirmish occurred and the  raiders were driven back.       On the 11th of June the regiment returned to Union Mills  and resumed picket duty along Bull Run.  On the 23d the  brigade, which had been commanded since April 20 by General  Stannard, became attached to the First Corps of the Army of the  Potomac under General Reynolds.  The Confederates had already  started on their raid toward Pennsylvania and a heavy battle  was imminent.  On the 25th orders came to move and the pickets  on duty were called in.  Colonel Veazey called his officers and  non-commissioned officers together and assured them that they  might soon expect to meet the enemy in battle, and gave them  good advice and instructions.  At 3 o’clock of that day, the  regiment started on its march, joining the great tide of the  Army of the Potomac, which was moving northward to intercept  the enemy in its advance on Washington, Baltimore, Harrisburg  and Philadelphia.  The Potomac was crossed at Edward’s Ferry  and the great army passed on through Adamstown, Frederick,  Jeffersonville and other towns.  On the 30th, after a forced  march of six days in heavy marching order, the regiment reached  Emmettsburg, and a rest was taken there for the night.  About  ten o’clock the next morning the sound of battle was heard in  the direction of Gettysburg, and the regiment moved on at noon  in that direction as rapidly as possible.  The weather was  intensely hot, the men were weary and foot-sore, but every man  readily and quickly fell into line.  The usual hilarity of a  start did not prevail, but instead each man’s face bore a  grave, determined look.  At 5 o’clock the regiment was in full  view of the terrible scene.  Shells bursting in the air, smoke  of burning buildings, the roar of artillery, wounded men being  borne to the rear, citizens of the town and vicinity fleeing  for their lives, cast a gloom over the men, but the ranks  gathered up closer and the sturdy men commenced nerving  themselves for the emergency.  As the regiment neared the  attlefield, a halt was made, the guns and ammunition were  inspected, bayonets fixed, and the regiment started at a rapid  pace, sometimes at double-quick, and soon formed in the battle  line upon the ridge, a little to the left of Cemetery Hill.   The first day’s fight was just over, and our troops had been  forced back through the town upon this ridge and hill.  About  one-third of the Sixteenth regiment, under command of Major  Rounds, was detailed for picket duty that night, and the  remainder took position on the rear slope of Cemetery Hill and  bivouacked for the night, which all with reason apprehended  would be the last night on earth of more or less of our number.       In the morning, July 2, the pickets were recalled, but  during the forenoon, company B, Captain Arms, was sent forward  to re-enforce the skirmish line, and there rendered splendid  service.  This company was taken into position by Captain  Foster of company C, who was then on General Stannard’s staff,  and was wounded in discharging this duty.  The main battles  of July 2 were fought on the right and left flanks of the Union  line.  Near the close of the battle on the left, which had been  fought with the greatest severity and had finally involved  several Corps of the Union Army, the Sixteenth, with the rest  of the brigade, was moved about one-half mile to the left along  Cemetery Ridge to re-enforce our badly shattered lines.  In  this movement it was under terrific artillery fire, one shell  hitting two men and killing them instantly.  The regiment was  finally halted in support of a battery and just in season to  receive and repel a heavy charge of infantry.  Darkness soon  came on and the battle ceased with the Sixteenth in the front  line.  Soon after this Colonel Veazey was detailed to take the  regiment with others and establish a picket line across the  battlefield of that afternoon.  The battle had been fought back  and forth over this ground and it was literally covered with  dead and wounded men, among whom the Sixteenth were deployed to  watch the enemy while our army was resting for a renewal of the  awful conflict in the morning.  No regiment ever had a more  trying night on picket duty.  It was not relieved in the  morning, but the men held the same position as skirmishers  throughout the forenoon and until the final assault.  The  position of the reserves, supporting the skirmish line, was  twenty rods or more in advance of the main line of battle, and  the skirmish line was considerably in advance of the reserves  and extended a long distance to the right and left.  The famous  infantry charge of July 3 was preceded for two hours by the  great artillery duel, participated in by some 250 guns, the  regiment being in the depression between the two lines of  cannon.  This was followed by the charge of Longstreet’s three  divisions, Pickett’s leading the same and striking first the  skirmish line of the Sixteenth regiment.  Pursuant to previous  orders of our colonel, the skirmishers rallied on the reserves,  except company G, which was so far to the right that it was  obliged to retire to the main line of battle in another  direction, where it opportunely met company B, which had not  rejoined the regiment after it was detached the day before, as  above explained, and these two companies under Captain Arms  took position in support of a battery and there fought  valiantly through the battle.  There were, therefore, but eight  companies occupying the advanced position of the reserves and  towards which Pickett’s division of the enemy seemed to be  directed, but as they were approaching within rifle range the  enemy changed its direction to its left and sufficiently to  uncover our direct front and began to pass by our right flank.   Our colonel then moved us to the right and changed our front so  as to be at right angles with the main line, and we assaulted  Pickett’s right flank.  During this movement we fired directly  into the rebel flank and advanced a distance to the right of  about a thousand yards, and continued the charge until  Pickett’s division had mainly disappeared, a great proportion  being killed, wounded or captured.       At this moment, another rebel line appeared off to our  left and was apparently aiming in the direction of the position  we held before making this charge to the right.  This new force  turned out to be Perry’s and Wilcox’s brigades.  Colonel Veazey  immediately got the regiment into line, began a movement back  over the same ground we had just passed, and again changed our  front so as to be again at right angles with the main line of  battle, but facing to the left instead of the right, and just  as those two brigades reached the point from which we had  started he ordered us to charge their flank, which we did with  a cheer and followed it a long distance until that line had  wholly disappeared, and this was the end of the battle of  Gettysburg, with our regiment still holding its original  extreme advanced position, having captured prisoners many times  its own number and three stands of colors.       The regiment suffered considerable loss in killed and  wounded, but much less than would be expected from its  participation at the pivotal point of the battle far in advance  of any other troops of the Union line, and where the collision  of the fighting was probably as severe and stubborn as ever  occurred in battle; but the comparatively small loss under the  circumstances was due to the fact that the regiment was  constantly on the move in charging flanks to the right and left  and so was not exposed to the direct front fire of the enemy’s  infantry lines.  The conspicuous part it took in this great  battle, its size and bearing in the conflict at a trying and  critical period, its skillful management by Colonel Veazey, won  for it and its gallant and much beloved commander a conspicuous  place in the annals of the war.       After the battle, Colonel Veazey being put in command of  the brigade, it joined in the pursuit of Lee’s forces until  they had crossed the Potomac back into Virginia, and then, as  the term of enlistment of the regiment had expired, it started  toward home, arriving in New York City when the draft riot was  at white heat, and it volunteered to remain there until order  was restored.  It camped upon the Battery, lying upon its arms  and ready for any emergency.  No disturbance, however, called  it into action.  From there it returned to Brattleboro,  Vermont, and was mustered out August 10, 1863, with 831  officers and men.       The history of this regiment would hardly be complete  without a brief reference to its commander.  Col. Wheelock G.  Veazey was born at Brentwood, New Hampshire, December  5, 1835.  He graduated at Dartmouth College, and later at the  Albany Law School, and had just commenced the practice of law  at Springfield, Vermont, when the war commenced.  He enlisted  early in the war as a private in the Third Vermont regiment,  was made captain of company A of that regiment, and soon  promoted to Major and Lieutenant-Colonel.  He was in the  Peninsular Campaign under General McClellan, and participated  in the many battles of that campaign.  For a while he was on  the staff of Gen. W. F. Smith, better known as Gen. “Baldy”  Smith.       The Sixteenth regiment was therefore fortunate in having  as its commanding officer one whose experience in the field had  equipped him so thoroughly for this command.  He succeeded  well in winning the confidence of the officers and men and to  an eminent degree won their universal love and respect.       After the war Colonel Veazey served conspicuously as  lawyer, legislator, supreme court judge, and in many other  positions of public trust, and resigned his office as Judge to  accept an appointment by President Harrison as Interstate  Commerce Commissioner, which position he now holds.       The veteran soldiers have honored him in many ways, and  especially when the great order of the Grand Army of the  Republic elected him Commander in Chief at Boston in 1890.  His  administration in that capacity was signally able and  successful, and marked an era of prosperity in that noble order.      ENGAGEMENTS.      Burke’s Station, Va., (Repulse of Stuart’s Raid),        Dec. 28, 1862.     Catlett’s Station, Va., May 30, 1863.     Gettysburg, Pa., July 1, 2 and 3, 1863.