M1860 Light Cavalry Saber by Millard Altered by Confederate Government Arsenal
M1860 Light Cavalry Saber by Millard Altered by Confederate Government Arsenal - This example was manufactured by David J Millard, of Clayville, New York. The markings on the ricasso, are as follows: “D. J. MILLARD / CLAYVILLE NY” and “US / CEW / 1862″. This sword is in strong, un-cleaned condition, with an overall pleasing patina to the brass elements. The blade is in good condition, but it has been shortened from the usual 35” length; we believe this reduction in blade length took place during the sword’s original period of use, by a Confederate government arsenal. It appears that the end segment of the blade was indeed shortened, as the fuller stops abruptly, rather than the usual, gradual decline in depth. In addition, the scabbard’s throat is brass, somewhat similar to those of Confederate swords; this throat appears to have been in place for a long, long time – it is definitively not a recent addition. Finally, the sword mounts appear to have been moved or their original position re-adjusted, to accommodate the shortening of the blade and scabbard. Millard swords are not that common, and all were dated “1862”. The M1860 light cavalry saber was somewhat lighter than the M1840 “wristbreaker”. The M1860 became the principal edged weapon of the Federal cavalry, by the end of the Civil War. As with all, regulation M1860 enlisted man’s, light cavalry sabers, this sword has the typical wooden handle, with a swell covered with leather and a twisted, brass wire grip. As with most Millards that we have encountered, the leather has a somewhat russet brown hue, as opposed to the more common, black leather variety. The brass hilt has three branches, and a brass pommel cap and guard. The steel blade retains a flat back with a narrow and wide fuller, stopped at the ricasso, and an iron scabbard, with iron mountings. The original buff leather washer also remains.
Measurements: Overall length – 36”; Blade length – 29.5”