Original Civil War U.S. Navy Id’d Pair of White Linen Pants


Original Civil War U.S. Navy Id’d Pair of White Linen Pants – These regulation, Civil War period U. S. Navy pants are constructed of a fine, white linen, via mostly hand and some treadle machine sewing. The pants are representative of an early style, as they have a five-button, fall front; all buttons on the pants are bone. There are two front pockets; there is no means for back size adjustment, so these pants may have been custom tailored for the wearer. The pants are in excellent condition.  On the interior back of one the pockets is written in period ink, is the name of the war period owner: “A.A.S./JAMES E BARBOUR/ u.s.n.”.  Barbour initially served in the army as a hospital steward and assistant surgeon with the 21st Connecticut Infantry. He joined the U. S. Navy in May of 1863 and remained in the Navy, until March of 1864.  Barbour served aboard USS Iron Age


James E. Barbour

Residence Norwalk CT;

Enlisted on 8/9/1862 as a Private.


On 8/22/1862 he mustered into “F” Co. CT 17th Infantry

He was discharged for promotion on 8/22/1862


On 9/5/1862 he mustered into Field & Staff CT 21st Infantry

He Resigned on 1/7/1863




* Hospital Steward 8/22/1862 (As of 21st CT Inf)



Other Information:

died 12/6/1879 in Italy

Buried: Union Cemty, Norwalk, CT




(Three Years.)

WRITTEN BY CAPTAIN DELOS D. BROWN, LATE CAPTAIN OF COMPANY I,TWENTY-FIRST CONNECTICUT VOLUNTEERS.THE Twenty-first Connecticut Regiment, whose serviceembraced the period from August, 1862, to June, 1865, was

recruited largely in Eastern Connecticut in August, 1862,

encamped at Norwich, was mustered into the United States

service September 5th, and left the State September 11th,

reaching Washington, D. C., September 13th.  It was assigned to

the Army of the Potomac, and until February, 1863, shared in

the dangers and vicissitudes, as well as the glory, of that

grand old army.


The sufferings of that winter will never be forgotten by

those who endured them.  The long march from Pleasant Valley to

Falmouth (175 miles) in twelve days; without tents during the

entire winter; exposed to terrible storms, and lying down at

night on the frozen ground or in the plastic mud of old

Virginia, with no covering other than blankets, very scanty and

thin, was an experience which tested the mettle and tried the

endurance of every man to the utmost, and planted the seeds of

disease and death which produced such a harvest on the plains

of Falmouth, and gave to its camp the appropriate title of Camp



On the 11th of December the regiment crossed the river to

participate in the battle of Fredericksburg.  Brigaded with the

Twenty-fifth New Jersey, Thirteenth New Hampshire, and Fourth

Rhode Island, they were designated the Third Brigade, Third

Division of the Ninth Army Corps, under command of our own

gallant Colonel Arthur H. Dutton; thus leaving the regiment in

command of Lieutenant-Colonel Thomas F. Burpee.


On the night of the 13th of December, after two days of

unsuccessful assault, General Burnside decided to make a final

attack the following day.  From his old Ninth Corps he selected

eighteen regiments, and to lead this desperate “forlorn hope”

the Twenty-first Regiment was chosen.  The assault was to be

made at 10 o’clock A. M., and every man realized that it would

be a charge to almost certain death.  The intervening time was

improved in writing anxious and tender letters to the dear ones

at home.  Ten o’clock came and passed, and the council at

headquarters was still in session; and after a long and painful

period of suspense, the news came that the attack had been

abandoned, and under cover of the darkness of that night the

army withdrew across the Rappahannock and the Twenty-first

returned to its old camp at Falmouth.


February 7th the Ninth Corps bade adieu to the Army of the

Potomac and joined the Army of the James at Fortress Monroe,

going into camp at Newport News until the 13th of March, when

it was ordered to the siege of Suffolk, Va.  During this siege

the regiment, under the command of Major Crosby, was ordered to

cross the Nansemond River, seize Reed’s Ferry, and open

communication with the Fourth Rhode Island on the left.  The

general commanding (Getty) was pleased to commend the regiment

for the service thus rendered, which resulted in dispersing the

enemy’s cavalry at Chuckatuck, and the capture of the ferry,

with one commissioned officer and fifteen men.


In June of this year the Twenty-first was ordered to

Portsmouth, to join the expedition to White House Landing,

familiarly known as the “Blackberry Raid,” where it acted as

provost guard for General Dix’s command.  Returning from the

expedition to White House, the regiment was assigned to provost

duty at Portsmouth, and later to the same duty at Norfolk.

After about five months’ provost duty in these cities, the

regiment went the second time to Newport News.


On the 24th of January, 1864, a part of the regiment, with

125 marines, made a successful raid upon Brandon Farms,

capturing and destroying large quantities of rebel supplies.

February 3d it embarked under sealed orders and arrived at

Morehead City, N. C., and thence went to Newport Barracks and

Little Washington, N. C.  After aiding in repelling the enemy

in these localities, it was sent to Newbern, N. C., where it

remained until April, returning to Portsmouth, Va., which it

left on May 29th for Bermuda Hundred.


On May 16th the regiment occupied an important position in

the battle of Drewry’s Bluff, calling for the exercise of that

special quality so conspicuously displayed by Connecticut

soldiers, viz.: individual coolness and judgment in action.

Upon the Twenty-first devolved the duty of holding in check the

massed forces of the enemy at a critical point in the battle,

and the duty was nobly done, though at the cost of 107 officers

and men killed, wounded, and missing.


On May 28th Colonel Dutton was mortally wounded while

commanding a reconnoissance on the right of the enemy’s

position at Bermuda Hundred, and died on the passage to

Baltimore.  In his death the regiment lost its ideal soldier,

and the service a brave and ambitious young officer.


Again on the 29th the Twenty-first returned to White House

Landing, and thence to Cold Harbor, where, again joining the

Army of the Potomac, it participated in the fierce engagements

of that hotly contested battle–occupying important positions

where it had special orders to rely only on the bayonet to

carry the enemy’s works.  The regiment received high

commendations from brigade and division commanders for its

gallant behavior in action.


On the 9th of June Colonel Burpee was mortally wounded by

a rebel sharpshooter, while acting as brigade officer of the

day.  His coolness and good judgment at Drewry’s Bluff won for

him the high admiration of his comrades, and his ability,

efficiency, and anxious solicitude for his men will be ever

remembered with pleasure and pride.


At the evacuation of Cold Harbor the army swung around in

front of Petersburg, and the Twenty-first participated in the

first of the engagements which were so successful in the

capture of prisoners and artillery, and which gave us

possession of some most important points.


At the explosion of “the mine,” July 30th, the Twenty-

first was stationed well forward among the supports, and kept

up an incessant firing to divert attention of the enemy from

the assaulting party, standing nobly to their work under a

galling enfilading fire of the enemy, losing fifteen in killed

and wounded, the brave Captain Long being among the killed.

The regiment remained in front of Petersburg, performing picket

and skirmish duty, until September 3d, sustaining a loss of

forty-nine officers and men.  It was then ordered within the

defenses at Bermuda Hundred.


September 28th marching orders were again received, and

crossing the James River the regiment proceeded to the assault

of Fort Harrison, and assisted in capturing the fort and

twenty-two pieces of artillery.  Captain Jennings was mortally

wounded, and died after a lingering illness.  Two other

officers and twenty-nine men were among the wounded and



The capture of Fort Harrison practically ended the summer

campaign, and the Twenty-first went into winter quarters, and

again resumed the old routine of camp life.  The 4th of January

was solemnly marked by the sudden death, from congestive chill,

of Lieutenant F. W. H. Buell.  The death of this promising

young officer cast a gloom over all his comrades, by whom he

was highly esteemed.


On the 4th of March the regiment was selected, with the

Fortieth Massachusetts, Fifty-eighth and One Hundred and

Eighty-eighth Pennsylvania, and Second New Hampshire, to

participate in a secret expedition to Fredericksburg, to break

up an extensive illicit traffic in tobacco, which was being

smuggled across the river in exchange for supplies.  The

expedition resulted in the capture of thirty rebel soldiers,

and the destruction of twenty-eight car-loads of tobacco,

valued by the rebels at $1,300,000.


It was the lucky fortune of this division that on account

of its participation in this raid it was chosen to occupy the

entrenchments around Richmond, thereby affording it the

opportunity to be the first to enter the rebel capital.  It was

by special order permitted to inscribe “Richmond” on its



From a private letter from an officer high in rank from

another State, it is permitted to make the following extract:


“When I have seen the gallant Twenty-first in battle, I

have, as an American, felt proud of them.  A noble regiment, it

has a splendid record.  Never shall I forget their splendid

behavior on that terrible 16th of May, when the field of

Drewry’s Bluff was covered with from 8,000 to 10,000 dead and

wounded of both armies, and the Twenty-first stood firm and

fearless amid the terrible shock of that fearful charge and

repulsed it on their front.  Many times, in the heat of that

conflict, I looked toward the Twenty-first, fearful that I

should see them overwhelmed.  They did their noble State

immortal honor that day, as they have done in every battle in

which they have been engaged.  It is a high and honorable

distinction to any one to have belonged to that regiment.”


When the meed of praise is thus disinterestedly bestowed,

we may be sure it is fairly won.




Fredericksburg, Va., Dec. 13, 1862.

Suffolk, Va., April and May, 1863.

Drewry’s Bluff, Va., May 16, 1864.

Cold Harbor, Va., June 3, 1864.

Petersburg, Va., May 26 to June 19, 1864.

Petersburg, Va., June 19 to Sep. 3, 1864.

Fort Harrrison, Va., Sep. 29 to Oct. 1, 1864.

Evacuation of Richmond, Va., April 3, 1865.


 USS Iron Age (1862)


United States
Laid down: date unknown
Launched: 1862
Acquired: 28 April 1863
Commissioned: 25 June 1863
Out of service: 11 January 1864
Struck: 1864 (est.)
Fate:             ran aground and burned

11 January 1864Status:WreckGeneral characteristicsDisplacement:424 tonsLength:144 ft (44 m)Beam:25 ft (7.6 m)Draught:12 ft 6 in (3.81 m)Propulsion:            steam engine

screw-propelledSpeed:not knownComplement:not knownArmament:            three 30-pounder Dahlgren rifles

six 8” Dahlgren guns

USS Iron Age (1862) was a steamer acquired by the Union Navy during the American Civil War. She was used by the Navy to patrol navigable waterways of the Confederacy to prevent the South from trading with other countries.

Iron Age was built at Kennebunk, Maine, in 1862; then purchased by the Navy at Boston, Massachusetts, 28 April 1863 and commissioned 25 June 1863, Lt. Comdr. E. E. Stone in command.

Iron Age searches for the CSS Tacony - That day she sailed from Boston in search of Confederate commerce raider, CSS Tacony, which was taking a heavy toll of New England shipping. After learning that the enemy cruiser had been burned and her crew captured, Iron Age returned to Boston 7 July. She spent the rest of the summer in New England waters protecting Union commerce, fisheries, and coasts.

Assigned to the North Atlantic Blockade - Iron Age was transferred to the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron 3 September and sailed for Wilmington, North Carolina, 2 days later, arriving off New Inlet 11 September. On her fifth day of blockade duty she discovered a runner attempting to escape, drove her back, and forced her to run ashore just abreast of Fort Fisher. On 21 October she assisted USS Nansemond and USS Niphon in destroying blockade runner Venus.

Destroying valuable Confederate salt works - Christmas Eve that year was the occasion for a raid on salt works at Bear Inlet. A large stockpile of salt desperately needed by the South was destroyed. This blow was doubly effective since the raiders also prevented the manufacture of a new supply by smashing the irreplaceable equipment in the plants.

Wreck of the USS Iron Age - In late 1863 the Confederate blockade runner Elizabeth ran aground just off of Holden Beach in the Lockwood’s Folly Inlet. In January 1864 the Confederate blockade runner Bendigo, returning from the port of Nassau with critical supplies for the Confederacy, saw the wreck of the Elizabeth and thought it to be a Union warship. Following the tactics of the day the Bendigo attempted to pass at full speed between enemy and the shore. This resulted in the CSS Bendigo running hard aground. The captain of the Bendigo recruited the help of the locals on Holden Beach and was able to salvage the supplies of the vessel. Following this, the captain set fire to the Bendigo and abandoned ship. Within a few days the United States Navy ordered the Iron Age and USS Daylight to Lockwood’s Folly Inlet, near Wilmington, to try to float grounded Confederate blockade runner Bendigo on 9 January 1864. The following morning at 0900 USS Iron Age ran hard aground during an attempt to free the Confederate warship. After untiring efforts to lighten her failed to refloat the ship, she was put to the torch at 0400 11 January 1864 and was destroyed 1 hour and 40 minutes later when her magazine exploded. Several days later locals from Holden Beach and the surrounding area would row out to the wreck in an attempt to salvage anything of value. Neil Holden, a Confederate soldier and descendant of the Holden Beach’s namesake, claims to have found a razor blade in the captain’s cabin of the USS Iron Age and has passed it down for several generations. The razor has stayed in the Holden family since the Civil War.