Shadow Box Style Relic Board Collected by Member of 134th Ill. at Paducah, KY
Shadow Box Style Relic Board Collected by Member of 134th Ill. at Paducah, KY – Finely framed, shadow box relic board displaying relics collected by Private Frederick L. Trow, of the 134th Illinois Infantry, when he was stationed near Paducah, Kentucky. Trow, a late war enlistee, collected and displayed the follow items on the relic board: very large, whole “Army Bread” or hardtack (according to Trow’s handwritten label “This hard bread was issued to Co. C 134 Regt Ill Infantry at Washington Mo Oct 15, 1863 – Framed April 1, 1876, F.L. Trow”); two small pieces of artillery shell shrapnel; the base to a three-inch conical rifled artillery projectile; three fired, impacted bullets with one embedded in small piece of wood and one unfired or dropped three rifled musket bullet (shrapnel and bullets labeled by Private Trow as follows: “ Fragment of conical cap shell & Minnie balls from the battleground at Paducah, Ky, August 20th 1863”); two paper cartridges still containing powder – one cartridge is a .69 cal. buck and ball labeled, in Trow’s handwriting: “Rebel Cartridge:; second paper cartridge labeled, also in Trow’s handwriting: “Union Cartridge”. All relics, as well as the hardtack, are in excellent condition; they were wired or pinned by Private Trow to the back board. The entire collection is housed, under its period glass, in a very nice, walnut frame. This is a very fine example of a veteran’s artfully crafted relic board.
The board measures as follows: Height – 14”; Width – 10”; Depth – 3.5”.
Frederick L. Trow
|Residence Chicago IL; Enlisted on 5/3/1864 as a Private. On 5/31/1864 he mustered into “C” Co. IL 134th Infantry. He was Mustered Out on 10/25/1864 at Chicago, IL|
Other Information:Born: 8/13/1823; Member of GAR Post # 13 (Fletcher Webster) in Brockton, MA;Died: 7/3/1905
The 134th Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry was an infantry regiment that served in the Union Army during the American Civil War. It was among scores of regiments that were raised in the summer of 1864 and known as Hundred Days Men, an effort to augment existing manpower for an all-out push to end the war within 100 days. The 134th Illinois Infantry was organized in Chicago, Illinois, and mustered into Federal service on May 31, 1864, for a short, one-hundred-day enlistment. The 134th served in the garrison of Columbus, Kentucky. The regiment was mustered out of service on October 25, 1864.
There are extant, numerous images, mostly in a stereograph format, in the Library of Congress Collection: The 134th Illinois Volunteer Infantry at Columbus, Kentucky / From Carbutt’s Garden City Photographic Art Gallery, 131 Lake Street, Chicago.
Stereographs show the 134th Illinois Volunteer Infantry, under the command of John C. Bigelow, during their 100 day garrison duty at Columbus, Kentucky, from May to October 1864. After its Confederate occupation from 1861-1862, Columbus was converted by the Union into a supply depot, river port, and transportation hub for their forces, and became a major recruiting center for African American soldiers. This 100 day regiment was intended to free up front-line troops by taking on the critical tasks of guarding the Mobile & Ohio Railroad (of which Columbus was the northern terminus), bridges, forts, and prisoners of war. These stereographs document the soldiers in camp – in practice drills but particularly in their free time, playing cards, boxing, and reading. Some of the images show young African American boys, possibly employed by the soldiers to help with camp duties.
Carbutt, John, 1832-1905, photographer
Created / Published - 1864.