Id’d Civil War Camp Mirror – Lt. and Quartermaster John S. Ives 25th Connecticut Infantry


Please contact us via our contact form with item details to express your interest in buying this item!

Id’d Civil War Camp Mirror – Lt. and Quartermaster John S. Ives 25th Connecticut Infantry – We have had several, Civil War period pocket mirrors, all constructed in essentially the same manner – two light wood, oval panels, joined at an upper pivot point, the larger of the halves containing an oval mirror, incised into the panel; the front panel would swing, at the pivot point, to expose or close a view of the mirror. The availability of these mirrors, from camp sutlers, must have been ubiquitous, as many still exist today. This example is markedly more significant and unique as the original, soldier owner carefully inked inside the lid, the following:

This pocket-mirror

the property of

John S. Ives.

 …Master 25th C.V.

was carried

 … the engagements

…d on the



A couple of strange and undecipherable symbols were inked by Ives, on the front of the cover panel; Lt. Ives also inked a small “25th CT or CV”, on the front cover, as well. On the exterior of the larger, mirror containing panel, Lt. Ives inked the engagements he and his regiment participated in:

Baton Rouge



 Bayou Boeuf Bullshear Cite (sic) Vermillion Vullevue Bayou

 Appalousas   Irish Bend


 Semmes Port    Bayou Sara

 Port Hudson

The wood panels remain in overall good condition, although part of the front cover panel is missing; the pivot pin or nail remains in place, as does the small, brass ring attachment for hanging the mirror, in camp. The mirror itself is in good condition, with no cracks or blemishes. Lt. Ives’ hand-inked writing is quite legible, as the ink inscriptions remain relatively dark. This mirror is the first we have encountered with such an elaborate, war period ID, coupled with a definitive enumeration of the engagements in which the soldier participated.

The mirror measures as follows: Vertical height – 4 1/2″; Widest width – 2 3/4″.

John S. Ives

Residence Hartford CT;

Enlisted on 9/18/1862 as a 1st Lieutenant.

On 11/11/1862 he was commissioned into Field & Staff CT 25th Infantry

He was Mustered Out on 8/26/1863 at Hartford, CT


* 1st Lieut 11/11/1862 (1st Lieut & Quartermaster)


NAME: John S Ives
ENLISTMENT RANK: First Lieutenant
MUSTER DATE: 11 Nov 1862
MUSTER PLACE: Connecticut
MUSTER REGIMENT: 25th Infantry
RANK CHANGE INFORMATION: 1st Lieut & Quartermaster
MUSTER OUT DATE: 26 Aug 1863
MUSTER OUT PLACE: Hartford, Connecticut
RESIDENCE PLACE: Hartford, Connecticut


John S. Ives

in the U.S., Find a Grave Index, 1600s-Current


Name: John S. Ives
Gender: Male
Birth Date: 24 Sep 1837
Death Date: 6 Feb 1887
Death Place: Hartford, Hartford County, Connecticut, United States of America
Cemetery: Spring Grove Cemetery
Burial or Cremation Place: Hartford, Hartford County, Connecticut, United States of America
Has Bio?: N
Father: Elam Ives
Mother: Louisa T. Ives
Spouse: Fannie E IvesAnna Maria Ives
Children: Frederick Chapin IvesAnnie Louisa BoothRalph Burkett Ives





25th CT Infantry
( 9-mos )

Organized: Hartford, CT on 11/11/62
Mustered Out: 8/26/63 at Hartford, CT

Officers Killed or Mortally Wounded: 3
Officers Died of Disease, Accidents, etc.: 4
Enlisted Men Killed or Mortally Wounded: 26
Enlisted Men Died of Disease, Accidents, etc.: 61
(Source: Fox, Regimental Losses)


From To Brigade Division Corps Army Comment
Dec ’62 Mar ’63   Grover’s   Army and Dept of the Gulf New Organization
Jan ’63 Aug ’63 3 4 19 Army and Dept of the Gulf Mustered Out


(Nine Months.)




THE Twenty-fifth Regiment Connecticut Volunteers (Colonel

George P. Bissell), was recruited in Hartford and Tolland

Counties in the fall of 1862.  The regiment was composed of the

very best material, being almost exclusively young men impelled

by a patriotic motive, and from the first took a high stand for

efficiency and good discipline.


Later in its history, when it had been tried in marches

and battles, it was thus described by Adjutant-General Morse in

his report to the Legislature for 1864:


“This is one of the best of our nine months regiments, and

bore a conspicuous part in the advance upon and campaign

preceding the fall of Port Hudson.  By the bravery always

displayed on the field of battle and the patient endurance

manifested on many long and arduous marches, it has won for

itself a high and lasting reputation.”


The Twenty-fifth was mustered into the United States

service November 11, 1862, and on the 14th sailed from Hartford

for Centerville, L. I., to join at that rendezvous the Banks

Expedition.  The muster-roll showed 811 men, thoroughly drilled

and well appointed, except that they were without rifles, which

were served to them on the ship after their arrival in the

Mississippi River.


The regiment embarked November 29, 1862, in two divisions-

one division of five companies, under command of Colonel

Bissell, on the steamer “Mary Boardman”; and the remainder,

under command of Lieutenant-Colonel Stevens, on the steamboat

“Che Kiang.”  The destination of the expedition was unknown

when the vessels sailed, and the sealed orders were not to be

opened till the ships had sailed twenty-four hours to the

southward and eastward.  The orders, when opened, were found to

be simply to report at Ship Island, off the mouth of the

Mississippi River, allowing a call at Dry Tortugas for coal, if

necessary.  The ships duly arrived at Ship Island, and

proceeded at once up the river to New Orleans, where they

arrived on the 14th of December.  On the 16th the “Mary

Boardman,” with several of the other ships, went on to Baton

Rouge, where they arrived the next day.  The “Che Kiang” landed

the left wing of the regiment at Camp Parapet, just above New

Orleans.  Thus the command was unfortunately divided.  I say

“unfortunately,” for the discipline and experience of the

separate and separated wings not being alike, made it difficult

when they finally came together, weeks after, to bring them

into harmony and full efficiency.


The forces landed at Baton Rouge after a brief bombardment

of the city, and the Twenty-fifth (five companies) went into

camp, first on the United States Arsenal grounds in the city,

and later near the cemetery, back of the city, where, after a

long delay, the left wing joined the Colonel’s command, and the

regiment was once more united and in fighting trim.


The regiment was first brigaded under General Halbert E.

Paine of Wisconsin, a most noble and brave officer; and

afterwards with the Thirteenth Connecticut, Twenty-sixth Maine,

and One Hundred and Fifty-ninth New York, under Colonel H. W.

Birge of the Thirteenth Connecticut, as Brigade Commander–an

officer of rare ability and bravery, and a disciplinarian of

the best stamp.  Under his command the Twenty-fifth served

during its entire term of service.  He led them in many battles

and marches; and while he was strictness personified, he was so

magnanimous, so brave, so reasonable, and so thoroughly a

soldier, that the men worshiped him and would follow him into

any fire; and now that he has gone they revere his memory.


The first work of the regiment was on the first advance on

Port Hudson, March 10, 1863, when Colonel Bissell, in command

of his own regiment, two detachments of cavalry, and a regular

army battery, occupied Bayou Montesano, constructed earthworks,

and built a bridge across Bayou Sara.  This bridge was designed

by Sergeant William Webster of Company I, after a West Point

engineer had despaired of the job.  The regiment was then seven

miles in advance of the army, and in a very exposed and

dangerous position.  This position they held under a frequently

severe fire till the army came up, when they joined the column

and went “on to Port Hudson.”  They were in the front of the

land forces when Farragut sailed by the forts in the

“Hartford.”  From the banks of the river, the Twenty-fifth

witnessed this grand bombardment, and the burning of the

frigate “Mississippi” in the night.  When the “objects of the

expedition had been accomplished” (to use the words of General

Banks’s order), the regiment returned to Baton Rouge, passing

one wet and dreary night in “Camp Misery”–a night which will

never be forgotten by any man who was there, nor will any

member present forget the noble act of Quartermaster John S.

Ives, who, almost dead himself, rode his almost dead horse into

Baton Rouge and brought out to the men coffee and sugar, which

they managed to prepare over small fires, and which, no doubt,

saved many a man his life.


After a short stay at Baton Rouge, the army made another

advance on the west bank of the Mississippi, starting March 28,

1863, marching with frequent skirmishes, sailing up the

Atchafalaya Bayou, and landing at Irish Bend, where the

regiment engaged in its first real battle April 14, 1863.  The

severity of this fight may be judged of, as we read in the

Adjutant-General’s Report the report of the regimental

Adjutant, thus:


“Our loss, as you will see from the accompanying return of

casualties, has been severe, being in all ninety-six killed,

wounded, and missing, out of about 350, with which the regiment

went into action.”


The “missing” was only one man, leaving ninety-five killed

and wounded.  From this point the regiment marched up to within

six miles of the Red River, and of this march the regimental

reports speak thus:


“What with our loss in battle, details for special

service, and the numbers who have given out on our very severe

marches, this regiment is much reduced and has to-day only 299

men present, of whom but 248 are fit for duty.  You will thus

see that though this campaign has been eminently successful,

driving the enemy before us through the entire valley of the

Teche, from its mouth to its source, it has also been most

trying upon the troops.  Four engagements and 300 miles’ march

in twenty days, call for proportionate suffering which cannot

be avoided.”


During May and a part of June, the regiment was actively

engaged in the siege of Port Hudson, and was constantly under

fire in the trenches and in the various assaults on that

stronghold, leading the advance on the 23d of May, when a

junction was formed with General Augur’s column, which

completed the investment of the place.  During all the siege

the regiment was constantly in the front, and finally

participated in the glories of the surrender of the fortress on

the 8th of July, having been in constant arduous duty, marching

and fighting, since early in March.


After the surrender of Port Hudson the regiment returned

to Donaldsonville, where it encamped till the expiration of its

term of service.  I sent to General Banks and offered, for

myself and for my command, to remain longer in the department

if our services were needed; but he replied that there would

probably be no more fighting, and thanking us for our offer, he

issued an order returning us to our homes; and the regiment was

finally mustered out at Hartford August 26, 1863.


In closing this brief sketch of the history of the gallant

Twenty-fifth Regiment, a few words may be allowed in praise of

the good and true men of whom it was composed.  With very few

and unimportant exceptions, they were of the best sort of men

who were ever banded together for the defense of their country.

They submitted to rigorous discipline cheerfully, they marched

promptly, and they fought bravely and determinedly.  A review

of official records shows that the regiment was complimented

over and over again by Generals Grover and Birge for the

extraordinary promptness with which it always moved, for its

entire reliability in any emergency, and for its bravery, as

shown time and again, in battle and under severe fire.  The men

never faltered in long marches, and never wavered under fire;

and there never was a time when their commander would have

hesitated to lead them against overwhelming odds–into the face

of an enemy ten times their number.  Ever ready, ever active,

ever pushed to the front in times of danger by generals who

wanted efficient service and who knew a good regiment when they

saw it, the Twenty-fifth was an organization of which the State

need not be ashamed.  When it was in the field it was an honor

to the army and to the volunteer service of our country; and

now that years have rolled by, the heart of many a survivor

swells with just pride as he says to his children and

grandchildren, “I was a member of the Twenty-fifth





Irish Bend, La., April 14, 1863.

Port Hudson, La., May 25 and 26, 1863.

Port Hudson, La., June 14 and 15, 1863.

Brashear City, La., June 23, 1863.

Bayou Boeuf, La., June 24, 1863.

25th Connecticut Infantry Regiment


25th Connecticut Infantry Regiment
Active November 11, 1862, to August 26, 1863
Country United States
Allegiance Union
Branch Infantry
Engagements Bayou Teche Campaign
Battle of Irish Bend
Siege of Port Hudson

The 25th Connecticut Infantry Regiment was an infantry regiment that served in the Union Army during the American Civil War for nine months service.


The 25th Connecticut Infantry Regiment was organized at HartfordConnecticut, on November 11, 1862, under the command of Colonel George P. Bissell.

The regiment was attached to Grover’s Division, Department of the Gulf, to January 1863. 3rd Brigade, 4th Division, XIX Corps, Department of the Gulf, to August 1863.

The 25th Connecticut Infantry mustered out of service August 26, 1863.

Detailed service

Left Connecticut for eastern New York November 14, then sailed for New Orleans and Baton Rouge, La., November 29, arriving there December 17. Duty at Baton Rouge until March 1863. Operations against Port Hudson March 7–27. Moved to Donaldsonville March 28. Operations in western Louisiana April 9-May 14. Bayou Teche Campaign April 11–20. Porter’s and McWilliams’ Plantation at Indian Bend April 13. Irish Bend April 14. Bayou Vermillion April 17. Expedition to Alexandria and Simsport May 5–18. Moved to Bayou Sara, then to Port Hudson May 22–25. Siege of Port Hudson May 25-July 9. Assaults on Port Hudson May 27 and June 14. Surrender of Port Hudson July 9. Moved to Donaldsonville July 11. Duty in Plaquemine District until August.


The regiment lost a total of 94 men during service; 3 officers and 26 enlisted men killed or mortally wounded, 4 officers and 61 enlisted men died of disease.


  • Colonel George P. Bissell
  • Lieutenant ColonelMason C. Weld – commanded during the siege of Port Hudson

Notable members

Battle Unit Details


25th Regiment, Connecticut Infantry


Organized at Hartford and mustered in November 11, 1862. Left State for East New York November 14, thence sailed for New Orleans and Baton Rouge, La., November 29, arriving there December 17. Attached to Grover’s Division, Dept. of the Gulf, to January, 1863. 3rd Brigade, 4th Division, 19th Army Corps, Dept. Gulf, to August, 1863.


Duty at Baton Rouge till March, 1863. Operations against Port Hudson March 7-27. Moved to Donaldsonville March 28. Operations in Western Louisiana April 9-May 14. Teche Campaign April 11-20. Porter’s and McWilliams’ Plantation at Indian Bend April 13. Irish Bend April 14. Bayou Vermillion April 17. Expedition to Alexandria and Simsport May 5-18. Moved to Bayou Sara, thence to Port Hudson May 22-25. Siege of Port Hudson May 25-July 9. Assaults on Port Hudson May 27 and June 14. Surrender of Port Hudson July 9. Moved to Donaldsonville July 11. Duty in Plaquemine District till August. Mustered out August 26, 1863.

Regiment lost during service 3 Officers and 26 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 4 Officers and 61 Enlisted men by disease. Total 94.