Rare Mexican War Soldier’s Stencil – WIA in 1847 – 1848
Rare Mexican War Soldier’s Stencil – WIA in 1847 – 1848 – We have had several Civil War period soldier’s stencils, but this is the first Mexican War stencil that we have had, or for that matter, have actually seen. The soldier’s name, rank and unit jeweler-cut into the stencil is “Sergeant Louis Albaugh / Co. A 1st NY Vols”. Albaugh’s name and unit designation on the stencil, are surrounded by decoratively cut flourishes. The stencil proper is constructed of sheet brass or copper, with folded over edges. After many failed attempts to locate Albaugh in various Civil War soldier and unit databases, one of our clients contacted us and indicated that he had indeed located a research site that confirmed Albaugh’s name, birth and death dates, as well as his military career, which included service, as a Sergeant in Co. A of the 1rst New York Infantry, during the Mexican War. In addition, we found that Albaugh had sustained a wound, from a “copper ball” that would contribute to his early death, some ten years after the war. This rare and unusual stencil is in excellent condition.
Measurements: Length – 3.25 “; Width – 1.25 “
|10 Jun 1823
|22 Mar 1857 (aged 33)
Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania, USA
|Frederick Evangelical Reformed Cemetery
Frederick, Frederick County, Maryland, USA
“Died from a ball received in the Mexican War, age 33yrs.9mos.12dys.”
|10 Jun 1823
|22 Mar 1857
|Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania, United States of America
|Frederick Evangelical Reformed Cemetery
|Burial or Cremation Place:
|Frederick, Frederick County, Maryland, United States of America
|21 Mar Abt 1857
|AGE AT DEATH:
|New York Evening Post
|23 Mar 1857
|New York, USA
*1st Regiment of New York Volunteers
1st Regiment of New York Volunteers, for service in California and during the war with Mexico, was raised in 1846 during the Mexican–American War by Jonathan D. Stevenson. Accepted by the United States Army on August 1846 the 1st Regiment of New York Volunteers was transported around Cape Horn to California, where it served as garrisons in Yerba Buena, Monterey, Santa Barbara, Los Angeles and San Diego. Elements of the Volunteers under Lieutenant Colonel Henry Stanton Burton were involved in operations of the Pacific Coast Campaign in Baja California, captured and garrisoned towns there, fighting in the Battle of La Paz, Siege of La Paz and defeated local forces at the Skirmish of Todos Santos after the peace was negotiated in 1848. The Regiment was then evacuated from Baja California and disbanded in California on August, September and October 1848.
Originally formed as the 7th Regiment of New York Volunteers upon the request of President James K. Polk by New York State Legislator Jonathan D. Stevenson. Secretary of War William L. Marcy directed Stevenson that the regiment should be composed of unmarried men, of good habits and varied pursuits, and such as would be likely to remain in California or adjoining territory at the close of the war.
The New York Legion departed New York 27 September 1846 aboard five ships, including the Susan Drew, LooChoo, and Thos H Perkins. Arriving in San Francisco 19 March 1847 companies D, E, G, and I were transported by store ship to the California Capital Monterey. From this post companies of the regiment were deployed by ship to lower California where they participated in the battles of La Paz, and the final Skirmish of Todos Santos. It is said of Co. D “This Company was without doubt the last command of American troops to leave the soil of Mexico after the close of the Mexican War.” During the regiments tour of service in California portions of the regiment were dispatched throughout California in search of Indian horse-thieves. Much of the 1st New York was disbanded in early 1848.
Formed as the 7th Regiment New York Volunteers
Commonly referred to in New York as the California Guard or the California Regiment.
Since the 7th New York Volunteers was composed of infantry, cavalry, and artillery the regiment was also called the New York Legion.
Finally re-designated in early 1848 by the War Department as the 1st Regiment New York Volunteers, for service in California and during the war with Mexico, now also called the 1st New York Legion.
However, this fact was not well known outside of California and thus another regiment formed in New York by Colonel Ward B. Burnett served in Mexico as the 1st Regiment New York Volunteers during the war but was re-designated by the War Department as the 2nd Regiment of New York Volunteers, for during the war with Mexico.
- Captain Jim Balance, Stevenson’s Regiment: First Regiment of New York Volunteers, The California Military Museum
- ^William Hugh Robarts, “Mexican War veterans : a complete roster of the regular and volunteer troops in the war between the United States and Mexico, from 1846 to 1848 ; the volunteers are arranged by states, alphabetically”, BRENTANO’S, (A. S. WITHERBEE & CO , Proprietors,; WASHINGTON, D. C., 1887. pp.64-65)
- ^FRANCIS D. CLARK, The first regiment of New York volunteers, commanded by Col. Jonathan D. Stevenson, in the Mexican war. Names of the members of the regiment during its term of service in Upper and Lower California, 1847-1848, with a record of all known survivors on the 15th day of April, 1882, and those known to have deceased, with other matters of interest pertaining to the organization and service of the regiment, GEO. S. EVANS & Co., PRINTERS, 38 CORTLANDT STREET, New York, 1882. p. 32
- THE WORKS HUBERT HOWE BANCROFT, VOLUME XXII. HISTORY OF CALIFORNIA, Vol. V. 1846-1848, THE HISTORY COMPANY SAN FRANCISCO, 1886. pp. 499-518
Stevenson’s Regiment: First Regiment of New York Volunteers
by Captain Jim Balance, California Center for Military History, California State Military Reserve
- Colonel Jonathan D. Stevenson of New York City, a colonel of militia, and a member of the New York Legislature was selected by President James K. Polk to raise a regiment of New York volunteers for service in California.
- Secretary of War William L. Marcy, and General Winfield Scott, the Commanding General of the Army thought the appointment a good one and assented to it. Stevenson was granted official permission to raise the regiment on June 26, 1846. Secretary Marcy’s instructions were that the regiment should be composed of unmarried men, of good habits and varied pursuits, and such as would be likely to remain in California or adjoining territory at the close of the war. Colonel Stevenson was informed that it was desired that he start early in August, 1846. In a communication dated June 30, Stevenson wrote to Silas Wright, the Governor of New York, for the necessary permission to raise a regiment in the State. To this the Governor graciously consented Seven companies were recruited in New York City; three were recruited outside of New York City, one each at Albany; Bath, Stueben County, and Norwich. The recruiting otticers were, for the part, those who became commissioned officers of the respective companies. No secret was made of the regiments destination and prospective service.
- These companies were, on the 1st of August 1846, gathered together in general encampment on Governor’s Island, New York Harbor. Here, on the same day, the regiment was mustered into Federal service by Colonel Bankhead, commanding the 2d U.S Artillery as the “Seventh” New York Volunteers. The uniform of the regiment was designed by Major James A. Hardie. The pantaloons were of dark, mixed grey, with scarlet strip or cord up the seam of the leg, blue coats with scarlet trimmings, and a new style of French cap.
- During the summer of 1848, an order was received by Colonel R.B. Mason, commanding Tenth Military Department, from the War Department, directing that Colonel Stevenson’s Regiment should be designated thereafter the ”First Regiment New York Volunteers” instead of the”Seventh” as heretofore. This fact was never generally known outside of California, and the regiment, subsequently organized and commanded by Colonel Ward B. Burnett, which served in Mexico, has always been known as the First Regiment, New York Volunteers, when it should have been designated as the “Second,” and was so designated in an official order by the War Department in 1847. There were two regiments in the State of New York during the Mexican War.