Id’d Rare P.S. Justice Cavalry Officer’s Saber – Lt. Arthur V. B. Lockrow Co. E 7th NY Heavy Artillery
Id’d Rare P.S. Justice Cavalry Officer’s Saber – Lt. Arthur V. B. Lockrow Co. E 7th NY Heavy Artillery – This sword is a superior example of a rare, Model 1860, P.S. Justice, presentation cavalry officer’s saber, in very fine condition. The sword, as appears engraved on the upper scabbard mount, was presented to Lt. Arthur V.B. Lockrow of Co. E. of the 7th NY Heavy Artillery. This presentation engraving reads:
By Members of Co. E.
7th N.Y. Art.
The ricasso of the blade is marked: “P.S. JUSTICE PHILADa”; the original leather washer is in place, above the ricasso. The blade is in overall fine condition, exhibiting some age mottling; it is finely etched with various patriotic motifs. The scabbard is polished steel with brass mountings, the latter akin to those of a staff and field sword. The hilt, covered in rayfin or shagreen, has a triple brass wire wrap and remains in superior condition. Attached to one of the upper knucklebow branches is an unusual, woven leather sword knot. According to John Thillman’s seminal work “Civil War Cavalry & Artillery Sabers” – “No examples of the Justice model 1860 cavalry saber have turned up except for the officers’ models …. These sabers (Justice Cavalry Officer Sabers), according to Ordnance Department records, were purchased in two batches. The first group was of 50 sabers. They were delivered in January of 1862, costing the government $11.50 each. The second group of 124 was delivered one month later and the price went down to $10.00 … Two of the three known surviving examples were found not by sword collectors but by advanced collectors of P.S. Justice-marked products in years past, and the last turned up recently in the Midwest in a Civil War collection.” This a fine example of an Identified, rare, cavalry officer’s saber. Attached in the group of images of this sword is a war period image of a group of officers of the 7th NY Artillery, posing inside one of the star forts constructed outside of Washington, DC; we believe that the young Lieutenant marked by us, in the image, is Lt. Lockrow, with this very sword.
Arthur V. B. Lockrow
|Residence was not listed; 19 years old. Enlisted on 8/11/1862 at Albany, NY as a 1st Lieutenant. On 8/11/1862 he was commissioned into “E” Co. NY 7th Heavy Artillery He Resigned on 11/2/1863 at Fort Reno, DC|
7th NY Heavy Artillery
( 3-years )
|Organized: Albany, NY on 12/19/62
Mustered Out: 8/1/65 at Ft Federal Hill, Baltimore, MDOfficers Killed or Mortally Wounded: 14
Officers Died of Disease, Accidents, etc.: 4
Enlisted Men Killed or Mortally Wounded: 277
Enlisted Men Died of Disease, Accidents, etc.: 374
(Source: Fox, Regimental Losses)
|Aug ’62||Oct ’62||Artillery||Defenses North of Potomac||Whipple’s Command||Military District of Washington|
|Oct ’62||Feb ’63||2||Defenses North of Potomac||Whipple’s Command||Military District of Washington|
|Feb ’63||May ’64||2||Defenses North of Potomac||22||Department of Washington, D.C.|
|May ’64||May ’64||Artillery||Tyler’s HA||2||Army of Potomac|
|May ’64||Nov ’64||4||1||2||Army of Potomac|
|Nov ’64||Feb ’65||2||1||2||Army of Potomac|
|Feb ’65||Aug ’65||2nd Separate||8||Middle Department||Mustered Out|
SEVENTH REGIMENT OF ARTILLERY (HEAVY).
Albany County Regiment; Seymour Guard.
|Col. Lewis O. Morris received, August 1, 1862, authority to recruit a regiment in the, then, 13th Senatorial district of the State. August 19, 1862, the regiment was designated the 113th Regiment of Infantry. It was organized at Albany and there mustered in the service of the United States for three years August 18, 1862. It was converted, December 10, 1862, into an artillery regiment, and December 19, 1862, designated the 7th Regiment of Artillery. Two additional companies were organized for the regiment, and mustered in the United States service for three years, August 6, 1863, and January 19, 1864, respectively. June 16, 1865, the men whose term of service would expire before October 1, 1865, were mustered out, and the regiment, under Col. Richard C. Duryea, consolidated into a battalion of four companies, A, B, C and D. The companies were recruited principally: A, B, C, D, E, F, G and I at Albany; H at West Troy; K at Albany, Westerloo, Bethlehem, Rensselaerville and Knox; and L and M in Albany county. The regiment (ten companies) left the State August 19, 1862, and served as heavy artillery and infantry in the defenses of Washington, north of the Potomac, from August, 1862; in the 2d Brigade, Haskins’ Division, 22d Corps, from February, 1863; in Tyler’s Artillery Division, 2d Corps, Army of Potomac, from May 18, 1864; in the 4th Brigade, 1st Division, 2d Corps, from May 29, 1864; in the 2d Brigade, 1st Division, 2d Corps, from November 23, 1864; in the 2d Separate Brigade, 8th Corps, from February 25, 1865, at Baltimore, Md. The battalion remaining in service, commanded by Maj. John F. Mount, was honorably discharged and mustered out at Fort Federal Hill, Baltimore, Md., August 1, 1865.|